Mt. Toubkal, in Toubkal National Park, rises 4167m/13,671 ft. into the great Moroccan sky. It is the highest peak in the Atlas Mountains and the highest in all of North Africa. This is the ideal hike for true mountaineers looking for rugged terrain and expansive wilderness. Toubkal combines terraced fields and traditional stone villages with deep valleys and alpine meadows. The tour climbs several passes of over /9842ft and the views are amazing. Individuals booking this tour need good stamina and strong physical conditioning.
Day 1– Marrakech – Oukaimden – Ouanskera
We depart early from Marrakech to Oukaimden, which is the highest ski station of Africa. There we meet our team of muleteers. After loading the animals, we start our hike to the valley of Imnane, crossing the pass of Tizi n’Eddi at 9,500 feet. After a long descent we will reach our camp near Ouanskera. The total hiking for the day is 4 hours.
Day 2– Ouanskera – Tizi n’Likemt – Azib Likemt
We start with a strenuous climb, hiking with panoramic views of Massif Toubkal from the Tizi n’Likemt pass at 11,800ft. We continue with a long descent to our camp at Azib Likemt. The total days hiking is about 4 hours.
Day 3– Azib Likemt – Tizi n’Ourai – Amsouzarte
We leave Likemt climbing a small hill to reach a Berber village which sits alongside a river. This river leads us to the foot of Tizi ‘n Ourai at 9,500 ft, the pass from which we can see the summit of Mount Toubkal. We join our mule team after a long descent in Amsouzarte. We rest for the night in a home of a local Berber family. The total hiking is about 5 hours.
Day 4– Amsouzarte – Lake Ifni
After breakfast we leave the beautiful village of Amsouzarte and hike to Lake Ifni at 7,500 ft. This is the only lake in the Toubkal and the deepest in the Atlas range. We spend most of the afternoon at the lake to allow the bravest to swim or, if you brought your fishing rod, you can fish. Our camp site for the evening is near this dramatic lake. The total hiking is about 4 hours.
Day 5– Lake Ifni – Tizi n’Ouannoums – Neltner
Today we start the most strenuous part of our journey, going up to Tizi n’Ouannoums at 12,000ft. Our trail follows a pass across a ravine, followed by an easy descent to our camp near the mountain refuge of Neltner at 10,500ft. The total hiking time is about 5 hours.
Day 6– Neltner – Optional ascent of the Toubkal at 13,600ft – Imlil – Marrakech
We depart early to enjoy the dawn and start climbing to the summit of Mount Toubkal. Early in the season there may be snowfields to cross, but otherwise the trail is not technically difficult. From the summit the view is spectacular with a vantage of Mount Sirwa, the plain of Marrakech and Lake Takerkouste. We descent via Sidi Chamharouch and Armed to get to the village of Imlil. We leave our mule team and head back to Marrakech. Total hiking time is about 7 hours.
- LEVEL: From average to advanced
- DURATION: 08 days
- BEST PERIOD: May through late September
- LUGGAGE: Carried by mule train
- TRANSPORT: Tourist van
- ACCOMMODATION: Tents (1 for 2 persons) during the trek, lodge- Gîte d’étape
- GUIDING: CFAMM certified mountain guides
The Package Includes:
- All transfers on the ground by air-conditioned tour vans
- Airport arrival and departure transfers.
- Camping with tents
- Professional and certified English/French/Spanish speaking guide
- Full board during the trip
- tents, 2 persons per tent, except individual ones
- Foam mattress, 5 cm thickness per person
- Mules to carry your luggage during the hike
- Services of the accompanying staff: guides, cooks, muleteers
- A first aid kit with standard equipment
- The necessary logistics for the trip
- The beverages included are mineral bottled water, coffee, and Moroccan mint tea
The Package Excludes:
- The accommodation in Marrakech